Monday, June 23, 2008

Group 80 Welcoming Party!







No those are not mighty Samoan warriors, they are me and my fellow peace corps gents showing off what we've learned in the past year. the new group just arrived june 4th and we had a welcoming party with men and women's samoan dance. new volunteers start to get an idea what life is like here, and of course meet the veterans (us). current volunteers (we) look at it as a chance to get drunk and eat great food. the one where we are in a line is called the slap dance, we basically just jump around and hit ourselves, and each other. the other is the war dance of the national rugby team (Manu Samoa) that they do before every match. i think after that night we owe a few apologies to Samoa. but it was fun!

2 comments:

Barb Carusillo said...

I just read your blog for the first time and I think it is quite good. Lots of great pictures, and you have a unique voice, nice way of telling your story. Saw the link from Nick's blog. You don't know me, but I have a daughter and son-in-law in group 79. We are hoping to visit some time during their service, so reading all these blogs helps to get us ready!
Thanks

Donna said...

Talofa Peni - I'm reluctant to admit that this is the 1st time I've read your blog after over a year here in Samoa, but it's great. As you know we don't have a alot of computer time to do "frivolous" things. Nice pix - wonder who took those? : ) Keep up the good work!

Donna B